Thursday, July 10, 2014

Review: Obsidian

Obsidian (Lux#1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published: May 8, 2012
Paperback, 335 pages
5 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is


The first thing that caught my attention in this book is that Katy, our main character, is a book blogger. It's pretty awesome seeing that side of life in a novel, especially since she references blogger things like Waiting on Wednesday and reviewing books. She also talks about books throughout the novel which any book lover would love to read about. Katy and her mom just moved to a small town in West Virginia for a nursing job and Katy is starting a new school and a new life without her dad. She plans on spending her days reading and blogging until she meets her new neighbour, Daemon, a super hot guy with a horrible attitude. Suddenly Daemon is everywhere, at her school, in her backyard and pretty much anywhere that Katy is hanging out with his sister Dee. But when Katy stays at the library too late one night and is attacked by her car, Daemon does something impossible and suddenly everything Katy thought he knew about life is turned upside down. Daemon and Dee are aliens from a planet called Luxen and Katy's got alien mojo all over her from the rescue. Daemon claims he needs to stay close to her to make sure she's safe until the trace disappears, but Katy doesn't think she can survive him that long.

This is my favourite kind of story. The irritating guy that you can't help but love who turns out to be something completely different. I wasn't sure if I'd like an alien story, but I loved this! Armentrout has a way with words and she makes everything swoon worthy, especially Daemon. He may be irritating, but I can certainly get past that if it meant making out with him. Katy likes him, I mean how could she not, but she can't get past everything about him. She's not sure if he's just spending time with her because of the trace or if he actually likes her, but the moments they do spend together are laced with sexual tension and there's no denying that. These two just need to make out is all I'm saying and when they do finally kiss it's amazing and I swear there are fireworks flying off the pages. I love when I see the chemistry between characters and when I feel it too, hoping that they will end up together.

This book isn't just all kissing and swooning though. There is another race of aliens set out to destroy all the Luxens and they need to stay in hiding in order to survive. But with the trace on Katy, it causes her to light up to other aliens so they can potentially find her through the trace. The ending blow out was well written and made me want more. Katy kicked some major butt, which I love to see in books. I don't like a girl who just sits on the sidelines, get in there and save yourself girl! This is going to be a really fun series to read and I can't wait to see more Katy and Daemon. I know they won't actually get together for awhile, so I'm anticipating the sexual tension for a little while longer. I think I can handle it. Jennifer, you are amazing and I love you for creating Daemon. That is all.

“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.” 

“Will you show me what you really look like? You don't sparkle, do you?” 

Also, this book is so quotable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts