Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Review: Unleashed

Unleashed
Author: Sophie Jordan
Published: February 24th, 2015
Hardcover, 368 pages
3 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Davy has spent the last few months trying to come to terms with the fact that she tested positive for the kill gene HTS (also known as Homicidal Tendency Syndrome). She swore she would not let it change, and that her DNA did not define her... but then she killed a man.

Now on the run, Davy must decide whether she'll be ruled by the kill gene or if she'll follow her heart and fight for her right to live free. But with her own potential for violence lying right beneath the surface, Davy doesn't even know if she can trust herself.

The first book in this series, Uninvited, blew me away. Sophie Jordan's books have always had a mix of romance and adventure, so I had high hopes going into this one, the second book in a two book series. We left Davy on the run with her gorgeous boyfriend Sean and two friends as they try to escape the white coats that want to use them as weapons. But Davy is haunted by the memory of the man she killed to protect Sean and that feeling just won't go away.

I must mention a huge spoiler here because it's such a big part of the book and I know those who have read this one will understand. Davy gets separated from her friends and ends up in the middle of a rebellion camp, where she meets Caden, a guy she quickly gets attached to. This pissed a lot of us off. It's a two part series and Sophie changes the love interest? I loved Sean and I wanted them to be together so badly, but I will be honest, I loved the new guy. He was a great hero and love interest and his feelings for Davy seemed genuine. The moments they had together were swoon-worthy (as Sophie is a fabulous romance writer) The way she wrote this romance made perfect sense to the story and I was happy with the outcome to everything. I mean it was strange and it took me off guard and I really wanted Sean to be happy, but in the end, I understood why Sophie played it out that way.

The new romance wasn't my pet-peeve with this book. Davy's days spent in the camp were written wonderfully and I loved all the new people she met. Her bravery and power were harnessed and even though she realized having the kill gene inside of her really does make her react differently, she`took that power and used it to gain respect. I wish there had been more focus on the rebellion or anything having to do with HTS. It seemed almost like the hoopla over all of it happened quietly in the background and was all nicely solved into a nice little package without Davy even having to lift a finger. I guess this could be seen as realistic, a young girl may not actually be able to help stop the government, but I wish there had been more to this story than Davy falling in love again and the world suddenly being an okay place for her to live in. It seemed forced and unfinished and I wish, oh man do I wish, that I had loved every last bit of this book. There is no explanation for why the HTS exists or how to actually fix it. Everyone just goes on knowing that they are carriers but trying to live normal lives.

I'm glad I got a happily ever after though. Davy and Caden's short but sweet story ended nicely and as did everyone else's. The writing was great and Sophie is a pro at love scenes. She'll always be one of my favourites in the kissing department. Here's hoping I like her next book better!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts