Monday, February 24, 2014

Review: Cress

Cress
Author: Marissa Meyer
Published: February 4, 2014
Hardcover, 550 pages
5 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.


Everything about this series is perfect. Fairy tale retellings, dystopian world, a plague, an evil queen from another planet and cyborgs and wolves, oh my! When I first picked up Cinder, I wasn't sure if I would like a cyborg Cinderella, but boy was I wrong. And it just got better after that with Scarlet, red riding hood for a new age. Throw in Levana, an evil queen from the planet Luna and some genetically altered man-wolves, and suddenly I was thrown into a world I never wanted to leave. When Cress was announced as being a retelling of Rapunzel, I knew I had found my new favourite series.

There is something very refreshing about a book that focuses on the mission at hand and not the love story. Don't get me wrong, I love a good love story, especially a fairy tale, but Meyer has woven such a wonderful world that yes I want to read about kissing, but I also really want them to destroy Levana and find a cure for the plague. But I do love Cinder and Prince Kai, a couple that against all odds will hopefully come out on top. And Scarlet and Wolf gave me chills with their sexual tension, and don't even get me started on Cress and Thorne because they are absolutely adorable together. The love stories are important and even better there aren't any love triangles - boys and girls can really just be friends! - but the real adventure is about trying to win the war over Luna. With each new book, we are introduced to a new character who is going to play a big part in doing so. The group keeps getting bigger and new mysteries are solved and I just know it's all leading up to something huge and wonderful. 

Cress is a beyond wonderful character. She is sweet and somewhat naive, having lived in a satellite all her life, but she has watched and learned about the real world and when she finally gets to be a part of it, she is intrigued and amazed. While her and Thorne are wandering through the desert, she can't help but all in love with the earth, even if it could kill her. She is an intelligent girl, able to hack into security systems. Though she gets into some trouble, she is smart enough to figure a way out. I only have love for Cress, she is one of my favourites and the perfect counterpart to Cinder and Scarlet. 

Meyer has made these fairy tales her own. She has only vaguely taken the characters and stories, but everything else is her own. If you are familiar with the original fairy tales, you'll see the small similarities throughout the novels. In Cress, Thorne being blinded is an ode to the original tale, among other things. It's small, but I love how she's incorporated it into the novel. The third person narrative works really well with this series, giving us insight into every character involved. I can't wait to find out how everything will come together. I hope they find the antidote, I hope Wolf reunites with Scarlet and I hope Thorne gets his sight back. All in all though, I hope everyone gets their happy ending. 

“Captain?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?"
He squinted and, after a thoughtful moment, shook his head. "No. I'm pretty sure it was Cinder.” 

Also, I could include so many quotes at the end of this, because all of it was so good. And I'm meeting Marissa this evening, I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I totally loved this book, too! It's such a great series. And I really like how you pointed out that the romance kind of takes a backseat - it's still there and it's amazing and we're rooting for them - but it isn't the WHOLE story. Plus, the added benefit of opposite-sex platonic friendships.

    I just need Wolf and Scarlet reuinted! I always feel so terribly anxious waiting for the next book in this serious.

    You wrote a really fantastic review, Jen :)

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts