Friday, August 7, 2015

Review: Revenge, Ice Cream, and Other Things Best Served Cold

Revenge, Ice Cream, and Other Things Best Served Cold
Author: Katie Finn
Published: May 5th, 2015
Hardcover, 400 pages
4 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

The war rages on between Gemma and Hallie in the second installment of the Broken Hearts and Revenge series.

After the humiliating events on the 4th of July, Gemma's trying to handle the fact that Hallie knew who she was all along, and she was the one who stole Teddy from her. Gemma vows revenge, but things get more complicated than she planned. Ford, Gemma's long time crush, has arrived in the Hamptons cuter than ever. Josh is refusing to speak to her after she lied to him, and Teddy is playing champion to his beloved Marsh Warbler (in Gemma's backyard, no less).

Gemma and Hallie find themselves in an escalating revenge cycle. Just when Gemma thinks she has the upper hand, the biggest bombshell of all is dropped. And it's one that threatens to change her life forever. This exciting sequel to Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend will eave you begging for the third installment.

If I thought Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend was full of girl drama, revenge, and misunderstandings everything has just one upped itself in this sequel. The events at the end of the first book threw everything into a tailspin and even though I predicted how it would have ended, it was still a shock when everything fell into place. Hallie is one tough cookie to break and Gemma is determined to get her back for everything she put her through over the beginning of the summer. Gemma is ready to seek her own revenge but Hallie isn't done with her yet. Juicy things are bound to happen as these two girls go head-to-head. Throw in some boys - Teddy, Gemma's ex-boyfriend who is now dating Hallie, Josh, Hallie brother who Gemma lied to all summer and who finally knows who she really is, and Ford, Gemma's long time crush who's here for the summer and ready to help Gemma in any way she needs. Trust me, this one's a dousy.

Every character in this book has aspects of deceit. It's human nature, but Finn has taken in and turned into one huge revenge scheme and it fantastic. The book was filled with crazy tactics and times where I thought it couldn't get any worse and it did. The ending was fantastic and made me crave the last book in the series. It seems everything goes wrong and it was a lot of fun to read as these two girls got over their pain by trying to destroy the other. Okay, I guess "fun" might not be the right word, as they did some pretty deplorable things to each other, but I'm really hoping they find a way at the end of all this to become friends again. Things get bad, some things happen that I would find unforgivable, but I feel like that ending opens things up for them to potentially get through all this in one piece. I say this book is fun because I sped through it and I loved trying to guess what plot schemes they'd come up with next and trying to figure out how everything would play out. These girls are intense and it made for good reading.

Gemma has done some terrible things, but so has Hallie, and now that they both know what the other has done, it's time for them to set things right. There were some cute moments with Josh, even cuter moments with Ford, and even though I am not ever a fan of love triangles, this one was different and actually worked for me. I understand why Josh reacted the way he did, he feels like he doesn't know Gemma at all, and Ford is just too cute. Nerdy with surfer good looks? Sign me up!

I don't want to get specific as I feel like the revenge plots are what makes this story so great. I love that Gemma works at an ice cream shop and that Teddy handcuffs himself to a tree in her backyard for the endangered birds he's trying to save. There are such great moments in this book and I enjoyed every second of it. So, seriously, when can I have the last one?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts