Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Review: Winter

Winter
Author: Marissa Meyer
Published: November 10th, 2015
Hardcover, 824 pages
5 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?


It was certainly bittersweet finishing this series. I've followed along since Cinder came out in paperback (so not quite as long as others) and fell in love. When Scarlet came out, I knew I'd found my new favourite heroine. And I waited hours to meet Marissa Meyer at Yorkdale mall when Cress was released. Dressed in my red hoodie, I knew I'd love Cress as much as Scarlet and damn was it good. And now, Winter is finished and I'm still not ready to say goodbye to this series. Winter is a great heroine, all four of these ladies are, and her story is just as fantastic and important as the rest. I loved watching everything come together in this fourth book, and seeing all our characters get their happy endings. This is probably the longest teen book I've read but the 800 pages were still too few when I turned the last one. This has been one epic adventure spanning planets with hope, love, and redemption. 

We finally got to meet Winter. She's been hinted at and we know about her background from Fairest, Queen Levana's prequel book, and she is bad ass. Scarred from a young age so that she is no longer the most beautiful on Luna, Winter has endured much from Levana, but not nearly as much as Selene did. Even though her face is scarred, she is still seen as the most beautiful girl on Luna, a praise that Levana despises. Levana will do anything to get rid of Winter once and for all, including using Jacin, Winter's personal guard and very good friend, to kill her. Jacin's feelings for Winter stop him from doing so and he hides Winter until the time is right. Cinder and her friends are on their way to Luna to stop the wedding of Prince Kai and Queen Levana and to get the rightful ruler back on the throne - Princess Selene (also known as Cinder). There are so many plot lines and many adventures that make this book riveting from start to finish. Seeing how it all came together was magical and wonderful and I couldn't be happier with how this all ended. 

Even though this is Winter's story, everyone still gets equal page time. My favourite has to be Cress and Thorne as they discover their feelings for each other and have moments that were certainly swoon-worthy and wonderful. Scarlet and Wolf have some ups and downs as Wolf faces a part of his life he had hoped to leave behind, and Cinder is trying to run a revolution while also making sure her boyfriend doesn't end up married to another woman. I love that most of this book took place on Luna, it gave me a chance to really see how that planet is run and how different it is from Earth. It certainly gave the whole book a magical quality, something I've found this series has lots of.

I could say more, I could give away the whole book because I want to talk about it all night, but I also want you all to experience it yourselves. Please read The Lunar Chronicles, fall in love with these characters and their stories. Go into a futuristic fairytale world and relive the stories we know by heart from our childhood. If you're a Sailor Moon fan, I hope you catch the references and enjoy how it all weave together. I love fairy tales and re-tellings and this series is by far my favourite of both. Stars, there's no way else to say this - this book is fan-freaking-tastic! I can't wait for the last piece of the puzzle, Stars Above, coming out 2016!

“She was prettier than a bouquet of roses and crazier than a headless chicken. Fitting in was not an option.”

“She’s our lost princess. And she’s coming home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts