Thursday, September 5, 2013

Review: Truly, Madly, Deeply

Truly Madly Deeply
Author: Hannah Jayne
Published: July 2, 2013
Paperback, 262 pages
2 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

They Said It Was An Accident...

Sawyer Dodd is a star athlete, a straight-A student, and the envy of every other girl who wants to date Kevin Anderson. When Kevin dies in a tragic car crash, Sawyer is stunned. Then she opens her locker to find a note:

You're welcome.

Someone saw what he did to her. Someone knows that Sawyer and Kevin weren't the perfect couple they seemed to be. And that someone—a killer—is now shadowing Sawyer's every move...


I had really high hopes for this book. The description sent an eerie chill up my spine. A car accident kills Sawyer Dodd's boyfriend, Kevin, but when she gets a note in her locker that just says "you're welcome", she's not so sure it was an accident anymore. I was eager to see what else would happen to Sawyer after she got the note in her locker. A few more things happened to her that could have been scary and should have been, but somehow just didn't give me the thrill I was hoping for.

There wasn't much character development. Sawyer feel flat and did not really it the description set for her on the back cover. Yes, she did track, but I saw nothing saying that she was a star athlete, and nowhere did it mention hoe great her grades were. Perhaps this is who she was before the accident, but there is no indication of that anywhere in the book. Some more background history on her and her life would had made me like her more. I found there wasn't much to like. We discover early on that she was in an abusive relationship, but I didn't feel her pain, I didn't feel how scared she was to be around other people. Not that I've been through  anything like that, but in books I've read before, there has always been an emotional and physical change after a character goes through distress. There wasn't much feistiness to her, and I think that could have benefitted her in the situations she got herself into.

There were a lot of characters amped up as suspects. I had fun trying to guess who the culprit was and enjoyed having new suspects come into play. I think if I had read this book in one sitting, I may have enjoyed it more. The suspense may have been more evident to me and I might have jumped if I read it during a thunderstorm. I wouldn't tell anyone not to read this. A lot of reviews I've read have said very good things, but I guess it just wasn't the book for me. I haven't read many thrillers and maybe that's just not a genre I'm into. I'd say read it and judge it for yourself. It's a quick read and there is a lot of emotional struggles. I'm curious to see what you guys thought of it, and don't get me wrong, I won't be spreading hate for this book or anything, it just wasn't for me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts