Monday, November 24, 2014

Review: The Retribution of Mara Dyer

The Retribution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Published: November 4th, 2014
Hardcover, 470 pages
5 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Mara Dyer wants to believe there's more to the lies she's been told. There is.

She doesn't stop to think about where her quest for the truth might lead. She should.

She never had to imagine how far she would go for vengeance. She will now.

Loyalties are betrayed, guilt and innocence tangle, and fate and chance collide in this shocking conclusion to Mara Dyer's story.

Retribution has arrived.

The Mara Dyer series is fucked up. It's messed up in the best kind of way. It makes you think, second guess, scared to read the next page, and it may just drive you as mad as Mara. From the beginning we knew there was a lot to know and a lot we would never know. The first sentence describes Mara having to use a nom-de-plume, and how she's going to tell us a story we may not believe and that she shouldn't be telling. It was the most fantastic way to hook me in and these books seriously never let me go. The first, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer left me confused and angry, yet so eager to need more information. None of us knew what Mara was or why she could do the things she does, but I was desperate for information. And Noah Shaw captured my heart immediately, and I knew I'd never forget him. The Evolution of Mara Dyer gave me some answers, but not much. And it weaved itself into me so much deeper, taking me down with Mara and Noah into a world I wish didn't exist. Then Michelle was cruel, oh so cruel, and I didn't think I'd make it to the last book without knowing the truth. But I did, and boy am I glad! This final instalment was a masterpiece. It weaved everything we knew, everything we wanted answers too and gave them over to us on a platter while still making us cringe after every page and waiting until the end to know for sure if we would get a happy ending.

This book left me breathless. I'm going to be vague because I don't want to give away anything to those who haven't read it yet. This is the kind of series that thrives without spoilers and I'm so glad I read it quickly before I accidentally read some. Mara's world is upside down and everything from the second book is creeping up on her as she desperately tries to find out exactly who she is and how to get away from those that are experimenting on her. Jamie is the perfect comic relief, which is so needed in a book like this where it would be all seriousness without him. There are so many pop culture quotes that made me laugh and reminded me that these are regular teenagers in irregular situations.

The pacing was perfect. Every chapter left me wanting more. There were some gruesome parts, some scary parts, and some parts that still blow my mind. There were some romantic parts (oh yes there were!) and I love how it all wrapped up, bringing us to the beginning of the first book, like a circle of craziness that will never be truly explained. It made it seem so realistic, that there could actually be someone out there like Mara or Noah or Jamie, someone with extraordinary powers living beside us, near us, passing us on the subway, and we'd never know unless we got on their bad side or in their way. This story will live with me for a long time, eventually I'd like to re-read the whole thing as one and see i I can make even more connections throughout the series, remember small details I forgot, and bask in the glory that is Michelle Hodkin's beautiful writing and story telling. She is a weaver of magic and she has created a wonderful, real character, whose real name we will never know. Someone who has been through hell and back and lived to tell about it. Mara is a heroine for this day, a strong girl who goes through things we wouldn't dare dream of but that some teenagers or anyone, may relate to. We all feel crazy every once and awhile and it's nice to know there are others who feel like that sometimes too.

If you haven't read this series, please go read it, and if you've only read the first two and are scared for it to end, trust me when I say you'll be happy with this finale, glad you read it, and eager for another series from Miss. Hodkin.

"I love you. Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever. If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you in all of them. If I were to live a thousand lives. I would want to make you mine in each of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts