Friday, April 25, 2014

Review: Veronica Mars and the Thousand Dollar Tan Line

Veronica Mars: Thousand Dollar Tan Line
Author: Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham
Published: March 25, 2014
Paperback, 324 pages
4 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Ten years after graduating from high school in Neptune, California, Veronica Mars is back in the land of sun, sand, crime, and corruption. She’s traded in her law degree for her old private investigating license, struggling to keep Mars Investigations afloat on the scant cash earned by catching cheating spouses until she can score her first big case.

Now it’s spring break, and college students descend on Neptune, transforming the beaches and boardwalks into a frenzied, week-long rave. When a girl disappears from a party, Veronica is called in to investigate. But this is no simple missing person’s case; the house the girl vanished from belongs to a man with serious criminal ties, and soon Veronica is plunged into a dangerous underworld of drugs and organized crime. And when a major break in the investigation has a shocking connection to Veronica’s past, the case hits closer to home than she ever imagined.



If you know me, you know I'm a Veronica Mars fan. I re-watch the show at least once a year, diving back into the sleuthing and drama that was Neptune, California. When they announced the movie, I was so happy. I was even happier when the whole cast returned and the movie was well done and perfect. So when they announced a new book series, I squealed. I get Veronica in every form now and it's fantastic. This book starts right where the movie left off, Veronica is back in Neptune and she is in charge of Mars Investigations while her dad recovers from his injury. Life is much different here than it was in New York. Veronica gave up a job at a huge law office to come back home so the money certainly isn't as good as it was. But this life called to her and now she just needs a big case to fill it. So when a girl goes missing during spring break, Veronica is on it, doing everything she can to bring the girl back alive. Madness ensures, as it does, for Veronica.

This book had the humour and twists that I loved about the show, but something fell flat for me. I think it might have been because it was in third person and in the show, we were always inside Veronica's head. And it missed her sass, her wit, that we all love, which didn't really come across the page well. But all my favourite characters were there - Veronica and Logan (though not enough Logan!), Wallace and Mac, and of course, Keith Mars. The mystery was well done, as always, and kept me guessing until the end. Rob Thomas has a knack for making you think one thing while something completely different is happening right over there. Veronica is a smart girl, yet she always gets herself into tough situations. When this happened in the book, it reminded me so much of the show and I couldn't wait to find out how she'd get herself out of it.

There is a fantastic twist that took everything we knew and messed it all up. It was a nice addition to the story, as it was a plot line we hadn't seen in quite some time. There was some nice closure, some nice tender moments between Veronica and Keith that we all love, but I wanted more Veronica and Logan, of course, because they are my favourite couple. I understand why he wasn't there, but maybe just a moment, just a flash into the future at the end, to rest my weary heart? Though I do know that this is going to be a series, and I can't wait for more Veronica. Seriously, Rob, I will read/watch/live anything you are willing to put out there about my girl. Thank you for keeping her alive.

“It’s hard to look the people you love in the face when they’ve seen you fuck up everything you touch. Sometimes, it’s easier to rebuild your life if you’re with someone who’s been as low as you’ve been.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts